Today in MMA — Ground and Pound Tuesday Recap
Today in MMA, the first weekend in November 2017 brought plenty of exciting action to mma fans around the world. Bellator MMA kicked things off on Friday in State College, PA with Bellator 186. A stacked main card featuring 2 title bouts, 2 Penn State University wrestling alums … and an assassin. Also rather noteworthy was a preliminary card loaded with young up-and-coming talent that kept fans at Bryce Jordan Center on the edge of their seats for most of the evening. Fast forward to Saturday night in New York City for UFC 217. Three title fights that made history, the return of a legend, 7 KO/TKO’s, a DQ ……. and it all happened in the iconic Madison Square Garden.
- We mentioned the prelim card for Bellator 186 and it being noteworthy, not to mention the young up-and-coming talent. Ty-wan Claxton, who just recently signed with The Blackzillians, made his pro mma debut. He did it in style. Check it out here
- Bellator 186 Dominic Mazzotta found redemption in his 2nd bout for the Bellator promotion. Dropping down from 145 lbs. to 135 lbs.(his natural fighting weight), he made good on his promise and kept the judges from being a factor. Mazzotta defeated Matt Lozano by TKO at 2:37 of the 1st round. Today in MMA
- Bellator 186 Ed Ruth returned home to his alma mater, Penn State, where he was a 3X NCAA collegiate wrestling champion. Facing Chris Dempsey at Middleweight, Ruth picked up the win with a KO :27 seconds into the 2nd round. Ruth remains undefeated and improved to 4-0, with all 4 victories coming by way of KO/TKO.
- Bellator 186 Phil Davis, another PSU alum and collegiate wrestling standout, faced off against Leo Leite, who was coming into the bout at 10-0 and making his Bellator debut. Davis picked up a unanimous decision, then sat back and watched Ryan Bader take on Linton Vassell for the Light Heavyweight World Title. Bader successfully defended the belt, his 1st defense, that he won by defeating Phil Davis via split decision at Bellator 180 in Madison Square Garden on June 24th, 2017. Today In MMA
- Bellator 186 Ilima-Lei Macfarlane fought Emily Ducote for the Inaugural Women’s Flyweight World Title. The 2 had previously met on December 3rd, 2016 at Bellator 167, where Macfarlane won by unanimous decision. The outcome was the same here, but Macfarlane picked up the win and the title with a triangle armbar at 3:42 of the 5th round
- UFC 217 For the 4th time in UFC history, there were 3 belts on the line. For the 1st time in UFC history all 3 titles changed hands. Georges St-Pierre submitted Michael Bisping at 4:23 of the 3rd round to capture the title in his 1st fight in some four years. GSP now joins a short list of mma fighters who have held a belt in 2 separate weight divisions. Today in MMA
- UFC 217 Cody Garbrandt entered the night as an undefeated fighter and current title holder in the bantamweight division. His 11-0 record included 9 KO/TKO’s. But this night belonged to T.J. Dillishaw. He defeated Garbrandt at his own game with a TKO at the 2:41 mark of round 2. A bitter feud was on display in the build up to this fight. Once teammates at Team Alpha Male, T.J. left the organization on bitter terms. The two were, however, both gracious and respecting of their foes, in victory and defeat. A rematch will surely be in the works. Not necessarily an immediate rematch, though.
- UFC 217 In what may be the title bout upset of the year, Rose Namajunas defeated Joanna Jedrzejczyk by TKO at 3:03 of the 1st round. Namajunas entered the bout with a 6-3 record, which included 5 victories by submission. Her knockout of Jedrzejczyk was the 1st knockout of her pro mma career. Today in MMA
- UFC 217 Walt Harris was disqualified by the referee after hitting his opponent, Mark Godbeer, in the with head a kick. The action was stopped at 4:29 of the 1st round.
Today In MMA Bellator 186 UFC 217
The UFC returns to action this Saturday, November 11th, 2017 in Norfolk, VA for UFC Fight Night 120. It features the likes of Dustin Poirier and Anthony Pettis, John Dodson, Nate Marquardt, Matt Brown, Diego Sanchez and many others. Bellator returns to action with an international venue in Dublin, Ireland. A.J. McKee is set to take on Brian Moore in the main event. Also featured on the card is Sinead Kavanagh, who will be fighting in a women’s featherweight bout. Additionally, Charlie Ward, Kevin Ferguson Jr.(Baby Slice) and Paul Redmond are all set to square of this Friday night.
Be sure to check out all of our latest MMA articles at Octagon 24/7 !
Like Octagon 24/7 on Facebook!
Subscribe to our YouTube page!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our brand new Instagram!
Or send us an email, for whatever’s on your mind, to: firstname.lastname@example.org